What is Face ID?
Apple describes the iPhone X Face ID as “the future of how we will unlock our smartphones and protect our sensitive information”.
Set up Face ID
Once you get your hands on the iPhone X, here’s how to set up Face ID. Face ID works best when your iPhone X is approximately an arm’s length or closer (10-20 inches) from your face.
To set up Face ID:
- Go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode.
- Tap Set Up Face ID, then position your face in front of your device and tap Get Started.
- Look straight into your iPhone and place your face inside the frame.
- Gently move your head to complete the circle. If you’re unable to move your head, tap Accessibility Options.
- When you finish the first Face ID scan, tap Continue.
- Gently move your head to complete the circle for a second time.
- When Face ID setup is complete, tap Done.
Unlock your iPhone X with Face ID
After you set up Face ID, you can use it to unlock your iPhone. Here’s how:
- Wake your iPhone X by just a tap.
- Glance at your iPhone X.
- When the lock icon on your screen animates from closed to open, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to unlock.
To turn this feature on or off, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode > iPhone Unlock.
Sign in with Face ID
By using Face ID to you can easily sign in to certain apps. Don’t worry about your long usernames or passwords typing method, at a glance you can auto fill usernames and passwords for websites in Safari just using your Face ID.
If you’re using an app that supports Face ID but aren’t reflected to use Face ID to sign in, then you might need to manually sign in to the app first.